Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Aren't We Sweet Enough Already?!

I've seen several posts on Facebook and MyFitnessPal today regarding sugar, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS, or, soon to be renamed corn sugar), artificial sweeteners and natural sweeteners.  So, I thought a blog sharing my own personal thoughts on this topic would be appropriate.  Or, perhaps more specifically, I think I'll focus on soda in particular.

Soda.  What is it about this sugary, carbonated, nutritionally-void beverage that has the average American drinking 60 gallons-worth per year?*  No, really.  I wanna know.  What's your personal take on this statistic?  I ask because I'm one of those oddballs who has never really "craved" soda - never much interested in it as a kid, parents never really had it around, never could stand to guzzle such a fizzy beverage so that it normally takes me an hour or more to get through a single can.  Oh, and too much caffeine and I have never really been the greatest of friends. *jitterzzz*

Of course I'm not going to say that I've never touched the stuff, or that I haven't had a few months here and there where I've drank more than my usual (usual = very little to none).  However, almost 100% of the time, I won't touch cola of any sort - I find it far to acidic.  It's as if I can FEEL the acids damaging my teeth & my insides, seriously.  I tend to stick with Mountain Dew or clear sodas such as 7UP or Sprite.  However, since starting my fitness journey, I've come to the point where I'm back to not touching soda at all.  And I'm all the happier for it, too, especially after having read some articles on the effects of soda on our bodies.  I've linked a few of these at the end of this blog in case you're interested in doing some research of your own.

Consuming THIS much sugar, in any form, natural or artificial, is just plain bad for our health.  Really.  What is it about the American diet that has us stuffing ourselves with so much unhealthy garbage?  And, with soda, it's not JUST the sugar that's absolutely terrible for us.  The following health problems can all be linked back to soda consumption: obesity, diabetes and tooth damage (sugar), osteoporosis (phosphoric acid), and harm to major organs such as the kidneys, liver and heart.  Even so-called "diet" soda isn't exempt from this list of ailments.  Aspartame (Equal, NutraSweet), an artificial sweetener, is a known TOXIN to our bodies.

Let's work together to break the high-sugar habit!  If you're looking to lose weight, one of the first and easiest things you can do is to give up soda.  All those empty calories can easily be replaced with healthier, and just as tasty, alternatives. 

I'd love to have some feedback on this topic, whether you agree or disagree with me.  Good day and namaste!

Other articles of interest:

2 comments:

  1. I am right on the same page with you. However, I was raised in a house with a lot of pop (what we call it in Canada)so I think that I just got sick of it. If I want a sweet beverage I will have the occasional lemonade or iced tea, and if I am having an indulgence I will have some wine or very rarely I will have a raspberry lager (mmmm! half price on sundays at a local brew pub). I have also been reading today about artificial sweeteners and I try to avoid them whenever I can. I am a sweet tooth, and when my eating habits start to go astray it is usually candy that I run to. I find that good habits build upon each other so I try my best to get some sweet things in my diet that are better for me. I went out and bought Choc-o-lot smoothie by Vega for my breakfasts this week and so far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love iced tea! And, raspberry lager sounds great. I tried a strawberry beer a while back and enjoyed that too. Yes, artificial sweeteners are worse than ordinary sugar, can you believe what they're putting in our foods and calling healthy?? Candy (chocolate in particular) once was my downfall. Now, I hardly crave it, though every once in a while I still splurge! The Vega smoothie sounds great. I recently tried Silk PureAlmond Dark Chocolate Almond Milk -- oh my gosh, delicious!! Perfect for my chocolate cravings! Thank you for your input, Alli! :)

    ReplyDelete