Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe

I made my very first homemade cranberry sauce last year and have since vowed to NEVER go back to the canned stuff again.  Not when it's SO easy to make.  And, Dalton absolutely LOVES it.  He requested a second batch of it this year, after the first batch was gone.  I promised him I'd make some more today, and a good friend requested the recipe; hence, this blog!

I started off with this recipe as a base and made a few modifications to put my own twist on the recipe.  This photo shows all the ingredients and equipment I used ...


12oz bag of fresh cranberries
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup orange juice
pomegranate juice (optional)

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, dissolve sugars in the orange juice.  Stir in the cranberries and squeeze the pomegranate juice into the mixture, and cook until the cranberries start to pop (about 10 minutes).  (Optional: I like to use a masher to mash up some of the cranberries, before transferring the sauce to a bowl or container.)  Remove from heat and place sauce in a bowl. The sauce will thicken as it cools.  


The easiest way I have found to "juice" the pomegranate seeds is to put them into a small or medium sized sieve and press on them with the back of a spoon.


I love eating the sauce by itself, and I've found that it tastes absolutely delicious on pumpkin bread (or, probably any bread or toast, for that matter!), much like a jam or preserve.  Dalton loves it mixed into his oatmeal for a healthy, tasty, filling breakfast.  Usually, it doesn't last long enough in our house to use it for much of anything else, but I'd imagine you could use it in baking, or to make a tasty homemade cranberry vinaigrette.  It may also make a nice additional stir-in to a yummy homemade chicken salad.  Many options!  Let me know if you try it, if you like it and what you end up using it for!


For more tasty recipes and healthy meal ideas, please check out my honey's blog, over at What's For Dinner ... Dad?!  Good day and namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment