Monday, December 13, 2010

Get Agitated!

So you want to make a change in your life.  What's holding you back from just forging ahead and making that change?  Wait, on second thought, don't tell me.  Why?  Because I'm sure I've made just about every excuse you're about to tell me, and then some, when I'm in "avoidance mode".


Instead, allow me to share with you what's worked for me to foster two major changes in my life.  One, I quit smoking a little over two years ago.  Two, I've lost somewhere between 30 and 50 pounds throughout 2010.  In both cases, I found something that absolutely bugged the crap out of me about the situations I wanted to change, and used that agitation not to get me down in the dumps, but to fuel the determination that I CAN and I WILL change what I want to change.


While I was smoking, I'd wake up every morning coughing my head off.  I was congested, I got sick more easily.  I finally got to the point where I was just plain OVER feeling gross.  I became absolutely irritated with always sniffling, stinking and coughing.  Of course, quitting and staying the course was in no way easy, I won't kid you, but once I was annoyed enough with just one aspect of the situation, my determination took on a life of its own.


Same with losing weight/getting fit.  One of the biggest things that I used to fuel my startup determination was the irritation and disgust I felt whenever I sat, especially at my desk at work, and the rolls of fat on my back would literally touch each other, kind of overlapping one another.  I became truly agitated about this, more and more so each and every day.  One day, I finally determined that I had two choices.  I could sit in disgust day in and day out, or I could get up and do something about it.  My previous blog post shows just which option I chose.


My suggestion to you, rather than relying on excuses, is this: Get Agitated!!  Find something, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, that just bugs the crap out of you about a situation you wish to change.  Get annoyed by it.  Enough so that it sparks the determination that, I believe, we ALL hold within ourselves.  Enough so that you say to yourself, "Enough is ENOUGH!"  And make that change!


Start small, set realistic goals, hold yourself accountable to whoever you need to, find support and encouragement from others (my inbox is always open: ctassell at inbox dot com), and just GO for it!  Good day and namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment