Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy International Women's Day!

http://www.internationalwomensday.com/
"International Women's Day (8 March) is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. In some places like China, Russia, Vietnam and Bulgaria, International Women's Day is a national holiday.  Suffragettes campaigned for women's right to vote. The word 'Suffragette' is derived from the word "suffrage" meaning the right to vote. International Women's Day honours the work of the Suffragettes, celebrates women's success, and reminds of inequities still to be redressed. The first International Women's Day event was run in 1911."
I've thought about this today and what it means to me.  Strong, capable women from all walks of life, standing up for themselves, their people, their values.  And there's an international day to celebrate that.  Great!  I'm all for women becoming empowered and feeling confident about themselves and their place here on this globe.  Trust me, I've not always been as confident as I am these days, and there are still days I question my own worth.

However, those days are becoming fewer and further between.  Thank goodness!  For this blog post, I'd love for us WOMEN to recognize our past and present achievements, future aspirations, and inspirations.  Feel free to "brag" on yourself this day, International Women's Day, and feel proud to be a strong, intelligent, confident, empowered woman!

I'll start:
  • I lead a nearly 900-member strong group on Facebook, called Motivation.
  • I've recently become a published writer on www.lipglossculture.com.
  • I stopped smoking over two years ago.
  • I've lost somewhere in the region of 60 pounds since February 2010.
  • I am a RUNNER!
  • I'm inspired by Jillian Michaels.
  • My family and my close friends are my biggest support and I LOVE them for it!
Now, it's your turn.  Go on, give yourself some well-deserved credit!

3 comments:

  1. ...THANK YOU :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration Chandra :) You help me keep going towards my goals because I saw how you succeeded so well at yours. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ang!! Love you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete