Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Fit Pregnancy

This was me, one year ago, at approximately 199lbs:


This is me a little over a week ago, at 149lbs and five weeks pregnant:



Recently, I read this article, amongst others, on the subject of healthy weight gain during pregnancy.  At 149lbs, I'm still considered 'overweight' for my height, BMI, etc.  The general consensus regarding a healthy weight gain during pregnancy for one who is overweight at the beginning of pregnancy is 15-25lbs, all of which should be gained during the second and third trimesters.

With the amount of nausea I've experienced thus far (and yeah, I refuse to take any prescription drugs to alleviate the nausea -- it's natural or nothing for me) eating has been pretty hit-and-miss for me so far.  Foods either taste really great, or I find I cannot stomach them.  A food that sounded great yesterday turns my stomach today.  I can only eat a little at a time or else my tummy takes revenge.  I have to eat small and often or I suffer.  Quite the balancing act!

I weighed in at 150.6lbs at my first prenatal appointment.  A week later, I weighed 149lbs. That was with very little to no exercise, apart from some walking.  Now, before you judge, I have no intention of restricting or reducing my calorie intake while pregnant.  However, I feel I can still safely exercise within my means and energy level, eat healthily and sensibly, and still maintain and/or lose some weight during the remainder of my first trimester.


I've continued to use MyFitnessPal and I've obtained a Prenatal Yoga DVD.  OK, I admit it, I've only done the prenatal yoga DVD one time so far (and really like it!), but I've been using my lack of energy and exhaustion as an excuse to *not* exercise.  Honest, I will change this.  I intend to stay fit and stay within the recommended 15-25lb weight gain.  I cannot do this by slacking on exercise and eating too much.


So, tomorrow morning, I shall drag my exhausted preggo booty out of bed early enough to take a gentle walk/jog before work.  I will begin performing my prenatal yoga DVD with more regularity.  I'm thinking 3-4 times a week.  I will make use of my balance ball and perhaps even our exercise bike.  Because, let's face it, the healthier this mamma is, the healthier this baby shall be!

10 comments:

  1. Linked over from MFP. I only gained 12 lbs with my pregnancy. I am overweight as it is, so my OB thought this was GREAT! Best of luck to you in this pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thank you!! Great job on your pregnancy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you on MFP. Good luck with your fit pregnancy! Looking forward to reading about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I am a little envious of you. Your weight loss was great. I just found out I too am pregnant, around 5 weeks too we are thinking (will get a better confirmation this Friday) but I still had so much weight to lose. I wanted to be at a healthier weight before getting pregnant. I need to find out how many calories I should be eating to make sure I am not getting to few, because I plan on keeping up with my exercise. I am so lucky I started on my weight loss journey back in Dec and have gotten healthier. Looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, and congratulations to you too, kewkew!! Best wishes on keeping up with the exercise and staying healthy. You've done great so far, having started your weight loss journey already. Keep up the great work, and let's keep in touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw you on MFP......Congrats!!! It is so wonderful to be able to start a pregnancy on a healthier note. I was considered overweight when I got pregnant and they told me to only gain between 11-20 lbs. I lost several pounds in the beginning so that's not uncommon.I had a slow gain throughout and only ended up gaining 13lbs. Each doctor's office has their own recommendations. I did alot of walking when I was pregnant and drink so much water I couldn't even believe. You will do great and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your baby and weight loss!
    Don't be too hard on yourself during that first trimester...it's a tough one and you'll get some energy back after it's over most likely. When I was first pregnant, I thought, "I can barely even keep my eyes open through a whole day, how on earth am I going to do this for 9 months?!" It is difficult to eat healthy too during that yucky sick time since, like you said, one day something sounds delicious and the next, it makes you want to throw up! Hopefully, that part will get better too and it will be easier to watch what you eat and exercise. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you both!! I love that I'm so much healthier now, and after 2 miscarriages along the way, this is SUCH a happy time for us! This is why, also, I'm so determined to stay as healthy as possible. I've still not really gotten up the energy to do much exercise (except for trying out a half hour prenatal workout with my pregnant friend the other day, which STILL has me sore!!), but I'm doing my best, with how thoroughly exhausted and nauseous I've been feeling. Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a new follower on your blog site please follow me back :) thanks



    http://taracl2011.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete